The Castle Library

Milieva

• Pillar
  • I am your Lord and Master
    • View Profile
    • Definitely Not Tokyo
The Castle Library
« on: March 24, 2006, 09:58:20 PM »
Okay.  So here is the thing.  I hate the archive as it is.  I don't know why it has to piss me off so much. I also wish to beable to expand it.

I was thinking.  Since I know that some of us want an archive of the good!fiction, the way I have it will just be too much.  So I have decided that it would be helpful to switch it over to a script, like eFiction.  I would like some imput on what else I should do with it.  I was thinking that maybe we could make it "invitation only" to keep out the bad-kill-me-now-fics.  But if I am going to run a fanfiction archive, I do need to be fair. I know I do not like Umi/Ascot and some other pairings to the point that I cannot read them.  I will need help gathering good!fics of that type as well as others.

All suggestions are welcome. 

P.S.  It might need a better name than "Definitely Not Tokyo Fanfiction Archive"....
Icon image by the fabulous Suzanami. Felt appropriate.

suzanami

• find me in the fuurio gutter
    • View Profile
    • MKR tag on my fandom blog
Re: About the Archive....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 04:59:57 AM »
Mmm. All the good MKR fic in one place. Nirvana.

It sounds like one of those things that's a lot of work, but worth it! I don't know much about script (I can hardly work with the HTML I know), but I would be willing to be on the "staff" to approve fic for the archive. Especially if we had a list or something that would define what's good fic and what's not.

Milieva

• Pillar
    • View Profile
    • Definitely Not Tokyo
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 07:09:11 AM »
I would be willing to be on the "staff" to approve fic for the archive. Especially if we had a list or something that would define what's good fic and what's not.

I know that most everyone on the forum as it is, would have similar ideas as to what they concider good fanfiction. I am going to invite every author in the archive as it is.  and if you all know anyone else, we can start a list.  I will take modship requsts once I get this damned script to work. I have had a terrible time with the blasted thing. It took me nearly three hours to figure out that there are too many gliches in the newest version and so I went and downloaded the next oldest version which worked right off.  >.<  Thus is my life.   

I will have a link up for first looks by Sunday night. I have to work all day on Sat.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 08:38:56 AM »
Well, you are quite correct.  Here we have a good chunk of people that really know good fanfiction and more, most of us like pretty diverse pairings.  It could be like a peer-reviewed literary journal...excuse the geekiness, but with a couple of us looking over fics as staff we could weed out the, "and then they completely and inexplicably started doing it with no plot whatsoever...oh...and Zagato was randomly ressurrected...oh...and he randomly started kicking butt..." fics.  Or taking those "wow this is the most awesome concept ever...except you could not execute it to save your life!" fics and helping authors make better use of them.  *Mind wanders at the possibilities*

And reading good Rayearth fics?  Done and done.
"We know what we are, but know not what we may be" ~ Hamlet -  Scene 4, Act 5

Milieva

• Pillar
    • View Profile
    • Definitely Not Tokyo
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 05:06:11 PM »
I finally got the damn thing to work.? I have one chapter of one of my fics up.? I will set passwords and e-mail them to you lot, so you can access the workings of the site.? I currently have it up that only select members can upload fics.? I need to add some more, but we'll figure that out.

I will take names for modship after I get the thing up and running tonight.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 09:18:25 PM by Milieva »

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 08:08:44 PM »
*clicks link*

*in awe* Woah... That is completely and totally awesome. Woah. -glomps-

I would be willing to help.

Milieva

• Pillar
    • View Profile
    • Definitely Not Tokyo
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:19:40 PM »
I tried to do something and succeeded in deleting the admin name.  >.<  no I have to reinstall it.

It should be back up by sunday night.

Ai

• Hiding in Closets since 2006.
    • View Profile
    • [Ai's El-Jay]
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 01:00:38 AM »
I love the idea! =D I'm sorry I haven't been as active as of late, I've recently had a bad case of sun poisoning. X.x So, I haven't felt like doing much of anything for the past week. xD

As much as I would like to be a Mod, I really don't think I can handle the responsibility. xD Responsibility and Ai do not get along too well .. but I'm learning. =3
I'm that girl who changes her avatar a little too often. x3 And proud.

current avatar made by umi_mizuno @ LJ <3

Milieva

• Pillar
    • View Profile
    • Definitely Not Tokyo
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 05:30:01 AM »
Okay, so if figured out my problem.? I hadn't messed up my original new!archive too badly, if was actually the fic itself.? ?The script does not liek the word "curl".? >.< I completely forgot about that.? Now I will be working on adding fiction and such.

I am setting it to let anyone register and submit a story, but the story first has to be read and then validated.? Depending on the pairings involved, I will need people to read them for quality.

http://rayearth.psynos.net/library  <-- Now up for open posting.  Everything that is currently on the old archive will be moved over, but any new submissions are welcome.  (that includes your almost-drabble, Ai)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 06:30:40 AM by Milieva »

Re: The Castle Library
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 04:53:26 PM »
Ooooh pretty! *scurries off to register*

suzanami

• find me in the fuurio gutter
    • View Profile
    • MKR tag on my fandom blog
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 08:19:13 PM »
I am wibbling.

*wibblesquirm*

Thanks so much for this. *toddles off to check it out* <3 <3 <3

[EDIT] OH, Milieva!... I just noticed the subtitle. You may not want to touch the desk...
Is that in reference to that short bit you posted at mkr_drabbles? *giggles like crazy*
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:44:13 PM by suzanami »

Milieva

• Pillar
    • View Profile
    • Definitely Not Tokyo
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 11:31:40 PM »
OH, Milieva!... I just noticed the subtitle. You may not want to touch the desk...
Is that in reference to that short bit you posted at mkr_drabbles? *giggles like crazy*

*tries to look innocent*? No of course not.... ^_^?

That and the full lenght fic that is currently posted over at the archive.

[EDIT:] BTW, Suzu, Rae, Ai, you three are now up as partial admins, you have power over the submitted stories.? If you find them "unfit" for the archive, you can delete them and send the "no message" to the authors.? ?Happy moding.? Not that there is much to mod given the fact that there are almost no authors. I am counting on you lot, when a pairing I cannot read (I have issues) comes up.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 06:16:16 AM by Milieva »

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 06:45:59 AM »
Wow, I just got home from a trip!  You've been busy!  ^_^

The archive is lovely!  <3
"We know what we are, but know not what we may be" ~ Hamlet -  Scene 4, Act 5

Milieva

• Pillar
    • View Profile
    • Definitely Not Tokyo
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 04:26:15 PM »
You've been busy!? ^_^

I told You all I need a life outside of Rayearth, work, and school.   But I do need to move everything over.... >.<  I have a number of large fics that need to be moved.   14+ chapters each.   "The Man Who Fell to Earth" took 30 min.  Then again I was watching Crossing Jordan at the same time.

Ai

• Hiding in Closets since 2006.
    • View Profile
    • [Ai's El-Jay]
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 11:42:45 PM »
BTW, Suzu, Rae, Ai, you three are now up as partial admins, you have power over the submitted stories.? If you find them "unfit" for the archive, you can delete them and send the "no message" to the authors.? ?Happy moding.? Not that there is much to mod given the fact that there are almost no authors. I am counting on you lot, when a pairing I cannot read (I have issues) comes up.

Oooo ... okay! ^^

To let you know, I just spent an hour or so submitting a crapload of my MKR fanfictions. :3 Some of them have been edited, because I noticed quite a few typos and errors since their debut on fanfiction.net. Otherwise, they're exactly the same. =D
I'm that girl who changes her avatar a little too often. x3 And proud.

current avatar made by umi_mizuno @ LJ <3