Guide to Nakayoshi magazine issues where MKR was originally released

Started by Ruben77, June 19, 2017, 02:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello
As promised in the rewatch chat:

This is a quick guide to the release of the Magic Knight Rayearth manga
as originally published in Nakayoshi magazine from 1993 to 1996.

For easiness of identification, I have numbered each installment as "chapter #x"
even though CLAMP never really divided the MKR manga in chapters.

The images were taken from Miss Dream's website. 
They have been downsized for the use in this forum.

For bigger scans, please refer to Miss Dream's archive:
https://missdream.org/raw-sailor-moon-downloads/back-issues-of-nakayoshi-magazine/

Nakayoshi - October 1993

There were three images announcing the publication of MKR manga for the magazine's next issue.

Notice the Ashura-like Hikaru, and Fuu's design without glasses and a slightly different hair.  Umi remained essentially the same.

Nakayoshi - November 1993

Title page, promo pages, first and last pages of chapter #1

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 1, pages 3 to 44.

Nakayoshi - December 1993

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #2

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 1, pages 45 to 83.

Nakayoshi - January 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #3

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 1, pages 84 to 121.

Nakayoshi - February 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #4

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 1, pages 121 to 159.

Nakayoshi - March 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #5

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 1, pages 159 to 197.

This is the end of Volume 1.

This is the end of volume 1.

Nakayoshi - April 1994

MKR was not published this month.

Nakayoshi - May 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #6

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 2, pages 3 to 44.

Nakayoshi - June 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #7

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 2, pages 44 to 83.

Nakayoshi - July 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #8

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 2, pages 83 to 121.

Nakayoshi - August 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #9

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 2, pages 121 to 159.

Nakayoshi - September 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #10

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 2, pages 159 to 197.

This is the end of volume 2.

This is the end of volume 2.

Nakayoshi - October 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #11

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 3, pages 3 to 41.

Nakayoshi - November 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #12

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 3, pages 41 to 79.

Nakayoshi - December 1994

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #13

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 3, pages 79 to 117.

Nakayoshi - January 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #14

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 3, pages 117 to 161

Nakayoshi - February 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #15

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 3, pages 163 to 209.
(Page #162 of the collected manga was not published in Nakayoshi).
This is the end of volume 3.

This is the end of volume 3.

Nakayoshi - March 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #16

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 4 (MKR 2: 2-1), pages 3 to 44.

Nakayoshi - April 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #17

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 4 (MKR 2: 2-1), pages 45 to 87.

Nakayoshi - May 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #18

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 4 (MKR 2: 2-1), pages 87 to 125.

Nakayoshi - June 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #19

Also, one of the pages that was affected by Nakayoshi publicity.  This was very unusual in the MKR pages as they rarely have spare room for that.

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 4 (MKR 2: 2-1), pages 125 to 163.

Nakayoshi - July 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #20

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 4 (MKR 2: 2-1), pages 163 to 206.

This is the end of Volume 4 (MKR 2: 2-1)

This is the end of Volume 4 (MKR 2: 2-1)

Nakayoshi - August 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #21

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 5 (MKR 2: 2-2), pages 3 to 47.

Nakayoshi - September 1995

Last page of chapter #22

No  image available for title and first page (sorry)

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 5 (MKR 2: 2-2), pages 47 to 90.

Nakayoshi - October 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #23

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 5 (MKR 2: 2-2), pages 91 to 132.

Nakayoshi - November 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #24

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 5 (MKR 2: 2-2), pages 132 to 174.

Nakayoshi - December 1995

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #25

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 5 (MKR 2: 2-2), pages 174 to 213.

This is the end of Volume 5 (MKR 2: 2-2)

This is the end of Volume 5 (MKR 2: 2-2)

Nakayoshi - January 1996

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #26

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 6 (MKR 2: 2-3), pages 3 to 46.

Nakayoshi - February 1996

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #27
And another page slightly edited to make space for publicity.

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 6 (MKR 2: 2-3), pages 47 to 90.

Nakayoshi - March 1996

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #28

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 6 (MKR 2: 2-3),  pages 91 to 132.

Nakayoshi - April 1996

This month MKR's finale was issued in two parts in the same magazine for a total of 85 pages! 
Usually some 42 pages were published each month.  But this being the great ending of the series deserved a special treatment.

Title page, first and last pages of chapter #29 part A
Title page, first and last pages of chapter #29 part B

This corresponds to the original Japanese collected manga Volume 4 Volume 6 (MKR 2: 2-3), pages 133 to 218.

This is the end of Volume 6 (MKR 2: 2-3)

This is the end of Volume 6 (MKR 2: 2-3)

Hope this is useful for all Magic Knight Rayearth fans out there :)

Just as a reminder, this was published in the same magazine and at the same time Sailor Moon was running.
Both series ran in the same magazine, but were not placed adjacent or near in the magazines pages. 
They were separated by pages of other series.

This is incredibly helpful.

Also, I really wish that those title page pictures of Autozam, Chizeta, and Fahren had been included one of the artbooks. (And I'm including North Side and South Side in that, too.)
Of course I'm normal...I'm 90 degrees off from the rest of the world.

this is awesome! thank you so much for all the work you've put into this, it's a great resource. is it cool if I link this on the FYR Tumblr to share with the wider fandom over there?

Quote from: Somariel on June 19, 2017, 11:31:48 AMAlso, I really wish that those title page pictures of Autozam, Chizeta, and Fahren had been included one of the artbooks. (And I'm including North Side and South Side in that, too.)

oh my gosh, yes. I've never seen these before!
• le tumblr —> mainfandomdrawings
team-hououji.tumblr.com

Quote from: suzanami on June 19, 2017, 05:08:40 PM
this is awesome! thank you so much for all the work you've put into this, it's a great resource. is it cool if I link this on the FYR Tumblr to share with the wider fandom over there?
Sure, it's an honor!
I've followed FYR from the shadows for some time.  :)

So sorry that Photobucket has introduced a horrible new way of forcing users to pay for embedding images to forums.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Images are stored in my album here:

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/ruben77/library/Rayearth?sort=9&page=1

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/ruben77/embed/slideshow/Rayearth

I'll try to fiddle with things in a bit, if you want?  I can try hosting the images on my server.  There are a few other image host options out there too...

Quote from: Milieva on September 05, 2017, 07:51:27 AM
I'll try to fiddle with things in a bit, if you want?  I can try hosting the images on my server.  There are a few other image host options out there too...
Sorry for the long absence.

I know there is an add-on for Chrome and Firefox that allows to see images stored in Photobucket instead of the ugly grey PB counter..  But maybe not everyone has installed it yet.

If you wish I can send you the images at full resolution (the ones I uploaded are reduced in size) so that you can edit and upload to your server. Just send me a PM if interested.

Or if it is better to upload them in other place just let me know. I could try to fix the links little by little.

Nearly a year late, and I failed to actually get the images switched, but it looks like Photobucket changed something, so... everything is back, even if they now have an annoying watermark.

(I'm sorry, I still don't have the spoons to deal with... life. I'll try to sort things out later.)

Well, looks like Photobucket finally blocked the images.
Now I'm stuck with a couple of hundred blurred images in several forums including this one.

I wonder if I can link to an image from my Facebook page...

https://scontent.fbog4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12002258_10153720403954171_8607630052168819340_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQnrRwr8Tvces5r0bnYxf5DC0ysZ921qTVKFmaDQRKja4pLXM2KDcImSbVoY6gs450g&_nc_ht=scontent.fbog4-1.fna&oh=709cb7addafff1de8fd348a54fef7602&oe=5E3667B6

Nope.. apparently not.  :(

Any suggestions on a stable image host to keep the pictures?  :'(

I've heard imgur is pretty decent for hosting.
Legend says when you can't sleep,
it's because you're awake in someone else's dream.
So that's why I can never sleep properly...
Who the bloody hell is dreaming about me because so help me God,
I will smother them in the face with a throw pillow.