2012: Season 1: Episode 1 Reaction Post

Started by Milieva, October 08, 2012, 03:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 08, 2012, 03:44:50 AM Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:53:21 AM by Milieva
Here we go, starting over with the rewatch.  If for some reason I forget to post the week's topic in this forum at the start of the week, someone else is welcome to.

This week we are watching Episodes 1 and 2:  Densetsu no Majikku Naito Shidou!
(The Birth of the Legendary Magic Knights!)  and  Chinmoku no Mori no Soushi Puresea
(Master Smith Presea of the Forest of Silence).   

The Youtube streamed episodes can be found  on the DNT discussion post : http://rayearth.psynos.net/rewatch-starts-now

This thread is for your thoughts and reactions to the episodes.  I don't know of any Rayearth virgins joining us at the moment, so don't worry about spoilers, if you have comment relevent to a later episode.  So, go forth, watch and discuss. 

ETA: Actually, I think I am going to do separate threads for EACH episode, to make conversation flow easier should we get more discussion going.

Can I first start off by saying how happy the opening song makes me? I always forget how much I love this anime.

Clef really doesn't make very strong impression, does he? He's so short and looks like his heavy robes are going to swallow him whole.

Even though there is plenty of silliness in the first episode when they meet Clef, it always made me sad that they cut out the bit of him feeling Hikaru's skirt and being called a pervert. That part made me laugh so in the manga. He is right, though. School uniform's don't make that great of armour. I really don't think a little shoulder pad and chest piece changes that much, but what do I know about becoming a Magic Knight?
And seriously, Alcyone? Do you really think attacking your former master is going to end well for you? Even if you do have an ice flame unicorn and Cerberus.

Okay, I am liveblogging this, so, uh, BE WARNED! THIS IS GOING TO BE RANDOM AND LONG. (Like... everything else I post here!) Also NO ONE ELSE IS TALKING. I SHALL DO IT FOR EVERYONE???

This has also become more complicated by the fact that the tv I should be watching on is currently bust, and of the two of my laptops which I can currently access, one has no dvd player and the other has Cephiro and my writing open on it, so I'm watching on my mother's laptop. (She will probably come demand it back before I reach ep four... she's out at the moment...) Which means I'm having to use my old dvds, which are region-free, because her laptop doesn't have VLC player and if I change it to region one for my newer shiny and legitimate USA dvds I will be IN TROUBLE.

.........which means I AM STUCK LISTENING TO THE ENGLISH VERSION OF THE OPENING SONG WHICH ALWAYS CONFUSES ME. And also my subs really want to be in chinese. So I'm going SUBLESS. XDD

and, UGH the music, when we first see Emeraude, that kicks me in the the chest EVERY TIME. Also I have to SHRIEK every time Emeraude says 'Please, save Cephiro!' (or, huh, was that 'please HELP Cephiro? HMM not sure of the implications if that's true - yep, I'm SURE it's 'tasukete', huh.)

Also I'm with Hikaru TOKYO TOWER IS AWESOME though I did refrain from using the viewing things any of the times I went (....yes I went multiple times hush XD) Probably, were I FROM Tokyo, I would be agreeing with her classmates. XD (I do love her classmates!)

and FUU FUUUUUUUU who has obviously been people-watching - reminds me of the Fuu-meta post Suz pointed to, she really is a people-person! I love the way Hikaru is too stunned by her to actually say thanks, hee. And then EVERYONE THINKS UMI IS THE PRETTIEST. XD

I also kinda miss their not being eaten by the floor, heh. BUT WHO CARES HIIIIII FYULA~~~~~~~~~ and CEPHIRO IS SO PRETTYYYYYYYYY

Oop, DOOMY MUSIC OF ZAGATO (I really need to be typing less XDDD) and OH ZAGATO, refusing to believe that the legend will become true - even though I suspect he does, truely. He may have been driven beyond his ability to be SANE by Emeraude's wish, but deep down...

and, heh, back to the LETS STATE THE OBVIOUS BECAUSE IT'S SO BEWILDERING AND WATCH UMI FREAK OUT BECAUSE WHAT THE HEEEEEEECK and I AM WITH UMI ON THIS ONE and, and, hee, HIKARU I KNOW THAT IRRITATION WITH PEOPLE THINKING YOU ARE YOUNG *hug of solidarity*

...........there will be a brief intermission while Down freaks out over Clef's VOICE and has to pause to compose herself *hold music plays~*

UH YES RIGHT hee. ........He really does look like his roabes are eating him, XDDD and Clef, Clef, your language use is so... 'my status is so high that it doesn't even matter if I use 'watashi' (standard, feminine-squewed, polite) as my pronoun to pretend my every word is not an order, because everyone has to treat my every word as an order anyway!', hee. (All the Cephirans GENERALLY use plain form Japanese - their language doesn't seem to have formality levels in the same way as Japanese, though a few (notably Alcione who would have been lower in status than most of the others and in a situation where that made an impact if she was about Emeraude's 'court'?) - but they do use different pronouns and stressors. ONE DAY I am going to finish my ridiculous essay on the linguistics of Cephiro~ and what they mean for culture and status~ but essentially Clef's language is naturally 'I am a person with a lot of power who does not give a DAMN what anyone else is saying yo~'. ....not that is actually comes across quite that way because he isn't pushing his status so much as it's just, you know, how he speaks! BUT UH)

and HE says 'SAVE this world', not HELP. Which.......I want to have THINKY THOUGHTS about but can't manage it. XD Too little brain left...

hee, hello, Zagato's gang! and PFFT I always forget it's Ascot who goes 'what, with that alfhasdfhasgoih mage?' XDD;;; AWW ASCOT your issues with authority figures and the world which has failed you are showing! And Caldina's accent just makes me think I AM HOME, heh, Kyoto was close enough to Osaka that is just seems RIGHT~

*snickering at Umi and Clef. I TOO MISS THE PERVERT COMMENT and - and, wait, OH DAMN IT, Clef blowing up the monster was TOO MUCH for the laptop it hibernated. XD GIVE ME CLEF BACK!!!*  *Clef returned to tell LIES to the Knights* OH CLEF - also, huh. That 'what was Emeraude-hime thinking of' is a bit... I think he IS actually trying to work out what she's planning, at that moment? As if he's hoping that maybe, MAYBE, she's not summoned them to fulfil the legend - that maybe she's summoned them to fail, that she's trying to find a way around this still, and- OH CLEF. (I am extrapolating here. This is MY Clef, who I sincerely believe would, at that moment, have rather all three strangers were killed than Emeraude died. Which makes it easier to lie to them.) And the way Umi calls him on it - and he KNOWS it's wrong, and WHY IS THIS TURNING INTO ALL CLEF FEELS WHOOPS but his VOICE I CAN'T HELP IT when he's saying BUT WE CAN'T DO IT OURSELVES and Umi's going BUT IT'S NOTHING TO DO WITH US and it's TRUE, they're TRAPPED here until they do what they've been summoned for, this is being forced on them and - and heh. FEEEEEEEELS (and they CAN'T EVEN DO MAGIC XD) (They still keep in the joke when he's teaching Hikaru, I am glad of that. XD It wouldn't be right otherwise. OH UMI.")

........I love the way Alcione comes with her own pathetic fallacy LIGHTNING STORM OF DOOOOOM. XD also HI GRIFFIN I LOVE YOU TOOOOO I wish we EVER saw him again *sigh*. And ......heh, Alcione's masu/desu forming at Clef, being all polite to him, going 'yep, my attacks aren't going to get to you, are they.' While he's all STERN back at her - which BAH they DO use different forms in this (I swear they don't in the manga?) and now Clef is TOO CONFLICTED and I love the way Nozomu Sasaki delivers these lines to NOTICE ZAGATO SNEAKING UP

Because the manga is short enough to NOT notice his Conspicuous Lack Of Turning Up To Help The Knights, but in the anime? It would be more obvious. It also means he has less to apologise for in the second series BUT THAT'S NEITHER HERE NOR THERE, ALCIONE FIIIIIIIIIGHT~ I love the faces the Griffin pulls XDDD and the way she calls them 'magic knight eggs' will never fail to amuse.

All the same, you shouldn't underestimate them, Alcione! THEY AREN'T SOFT BOILED~ aaaaaaaaaaand that's why, hee. I love Fuu's comments about Alcione confirming Clef's story (and, yep. Those lies ARE going to be exposed. TT_TT)

AAAAAAAAAAAAND the first Zagato-Emeraude conversation. I WOULD CRY IF CLEF WAS TURNED INTO A STATUE TOO, EMERAUDE-HIME! ALSO YOU HAVE KINDA BROKEN ZAGATO. DDDDDD: aaaaaaaaand I DON'T GET THE ENDING CREDITS ON THESE DVDS. I AM SAD.

..............other people, please post. You will all look saner than me. XD